As a Malaysian Chinese with a litte nyonya blood, I have eaten many times of ma Po toufu cooked by restaurant chefs, but have never exposed to how to cook the dish. Until I met my taiwanese housemate who cooked heaps of yummy Taiwanese aka chinese food, I then start to pick up some real Chinese cooking. My first trial made myself proud though wuhaha;)
Soft Tofu 600g (cut cubes)
Minced Pork/ Chicken (300g) put more if you're carnivore
Chili padi (bird eye) - at your preference
Spicy black bean source （辣豆瓣酱）2-3 spoonful
Sweet bean source (甜面酱） 2-3 spoonful
Garlic (chopped finely) -
Ligth soy source
Dark soy source
1) Marinate the minced pork with light soy source, pepper for approximately 20 mins.
2) Add oil into the wok, then fry the garlic until golden brown. Add in the spring onion (the whites) and chili padi.
3) Put the minced pork in and fry for a while.
4) Add in the sources (Black bean, Sweet bean source) and continue frying with the pork until the pork is cooked. (Add in the spring onion green part)
5) Add in some water to be gravy then put in the tofu. (You may choose to smash with the tofu with spatula if you prefer)
6) Once tofu is in, you dont' have to cook for too long. Adjust the taste with a bit of soya source, sugar, dark source until you get your preferred taste.
7) Make a bit of starch (add water with 1 spoonful starch) and add into the wok. You'll notice the gravy thicken up.
And finally, turn off the fire, scoope it up.. another nice dish for the day.. yaho